Thursday, August 14, 2008

Positive Thinking and Mindful Living

It is difficult to live. There are many forces arrayed against my survival. One thing I need more than anything else is a positive attitude. I have to learn to aggressively focus on the ground realities of my life. I need to recognize all the things that are right with my life and repeat to myself these things. I also need to recognize what is absent or missing or desirable in my life, those things that are beneficial and supportive of my survival, well-being. If I am not in good health, I have to learn to encourage my self by telling myself "I will heal from this." "I will get better." I need to look at what I have separately and independently of what the media projects, what others around me want and identify what I want. A lot of times if I focus on my needs I see that I have everything i need. Do I want more than this? Most times I am content with what I have so another thing I need to repeat to myself is "I have everything I want." "I am happy." Other things that can be influenced by outside forces include what I eat so I need to be mindful of what I consume. I need to make an effort to eat what I truly want to eat, when I want to eat, how much I want to eat. After all I am eating to nourish my body. As such food and the act of eating despite being something that is based on the act of consumption is also an act of nurturing. So I have to learn to say as I am eating "I am eating this. This is what I want to eat." My appearance and grooming is rooted in what is good for my body. I cut my hair, bathe, clothe myself for the protection, maintenance and well-being of my body. As such I need to determine how to do each of these things and proceed to see that these things are done to the best of my ability. I need to determine how short or long the hair on my head should be and say "This is how I want my hair." Other positive life affirming things I can say include "I will be fine."
"Something good will happen." "I and the one I love will be fine." "We will be alright." "Things will work out." "We will be comfortable and happy." "We will be happy." "We will be safe."